Are you a professional? Visit our professional's page for resources and information.

MindMate professionals

As a parent or carer, how can I help?

MindMate provides advice for young people about a range of issues which you might find helpful to read or look at together. There’s a number of important ways that you can support them too.

If you feel your child needs extra support with their mental health and they are 5 – 17 years with a Leeds postcode you can contact the MindMate SPA (Single Point of Access) team to ask for a referral.

Find resources to support families in Leeds during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Talking and listening

Having a chat about difficult feelings with your child isn’t always easy. Children (like adults!) can sometimes shut off if the talk feels too formal or scripted. Keeping engaged and communicating with your child is really important when they are struggling. Making time to talk and listen is probably the most important thing you can do. You might find it useful to check out MindMate’s top tips on how to start difficult conversations.

Inform yourself

There exists already a wide range of resources and information for parents and carers in Leeds to help them support their children’s mental health.

Finding support for your child

You don’t need to have all the answers straight away. It might help to search the pages of MindMate together. In the Leeds area, there is lots on offer to help young people with their mental health and wellbeing. Click here to find out more about local support services. Go to MindMate’s Coping with Common Issues page to find out more about specific problems and what might help.

Looking after yourself

When your child is unhappy or not coping it is hard for you too. Make sure you take some time to look after yourself. MindMate’s top tips on feeling good might be useful for you too. You might also find the Leeds’ MindWell website useful to help you look after your own mental health.

Does your child need extra support?

If your child has a special educational need or disability, you will find a wide range of information on this Guide for Families from Leeds City Council.

What support can you expect from your child’s school?

All schools are required by law to provide a minimum offer of support for children and young people with any kind of special educational need, including social, emotional and mental health needs. Leeds City Council provides this and the help available for your child in school can be accessed through your school. Below are the top three recommended sites by other parents and carers in Leeds but there are lots more useful resources for parents available.

Papyrus Prevention of Young Suicide

PAPYRUS can offer advice if you are worried about a young person who might be having thoughts of suicide.

Go to Papyrus

YoungMinds parent helpline

Support, advice and information for any adult worried about the emotional problems, behaviour or mental health of a child or young person up to the age of 25.

YoungMinds parent helpline

Leeds Bereavement Service

Child Bereavement UK Leeds offers support to children and young people who have been bereaved of a close family member. The service is for Leeds young people up to and including age 18, providing general advice, advocacy and support.

Leeds Bereavement Service

MindEd for families

MindEd for Families has online advice and information from trusted sources and will help you to understand and identify early issues and best support your child.

MindEd for families

Guide for families

Sets out all the support and services in Leeds for children and young people aged 0-25 who have any kind of special educational need and/or disability (SEND).
PDF on SEND support

Guide for parents

This leaflet from the Charlie Waller Trust offers guidance on how best to support your child and where to and further advice and help with their mental health.

Charlie Waller Trust