Are you a professional? Visit our professional's page for resources and information.

MindMate professionals

EHCPs and Funding for Neurodiversity

Funding for SEND

Each year Leeds City Council receives funding from the government to support and fund educational settings.  Some of this money is used for special educational needs and disability (SEND) provision and inclusion.  This applies to children and young people who:

  • Need extra SEND support in school
  • Are a Leeds resident
  • Aged between 2 and 25 years

This funding is divided into seven specific bands of need (drop downs). You DO NOT need an EHCP to receive SEND funding in Leeds.

SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services

SENDIASS support children and young people with SEND and their families/ carers to get help where needed. They provide free, impartial, and confidential advice and resources on a range of areas, including applying for an EHCP. They have made lots of videos to explain SEND support, which can be found here.

Visit their website.

Funding categories

Education and Health Care Plans (EHCP)

The majority of children and young people with SEND can have their needs met within their local education setting through the existing resources without the need for an Education Health Care Plan. All settings must take every possible action available to identify, assess and meet the child or young person’s needs

However, if the child/ young person needs more support than their local school can provide under the usual SEND processes, an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) can be applied for. An EHCP is a legal document for a child or young person aged 0-25 years with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). The EHCP outlines their educational, health and social care needs, the focused SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely) targets and the support required to achieve them. By law, the educational setting named in the plan must follow what is written.

This is a helpful video, from the Council for Disabled Children (CDC) that explains what an EHCP is and who it is for.

In Leeds, the Special Educational Needs Statutory Assessment and Provision (SENSAP) team is responsible for overseeing all EHCPs and assessments. It’s important to remember that there is strict criterion for EHCP applications and an EHCP is not needed in Leeds to obtain additional funding.  Further information can be found via the SENSAP website. We would recommend speaking with your school for further information.

Leeds Local Offer

The Leeds Local Offer provides information for children and young people with SEND and their parents/ carers in a single place. It shows families what they can expect from a range of local agencies including education, health and social care. The Leeds Local Offer is about providing families with information to make informed choices about services they chose to use.

Links for more information

Was this helpful?

MindMate will be developing the ND hub further – please let us know what you think so far to help us get this right by completing this online survey.